Crock-pot Apple Butter

Homemade Apple Butter
Apple Butter on An English Muffin


  • Apples are on sale at my local grocery store, and I got super excited.
    Apples
    • Fall is coming. 
    • In LA fall means 
      • increasing the AC during the day,
      • watching giant palm fronds float slowly down til they smash onto your car
    palm tree with brown leaves

      • But you do get to switch to jeans and a super light jacket most nights. 
        • Which is truly my more favorite part of LA fall. 
      • So with very few leaves changing color, and no reason to break out my scarf collection, 
      • I wanted to do something to celebrate a "change of season." 
    • Apple Butter. 
    • My dad and I both loved the stuff. 
    Village Candy Kitchen apple farms

      • To help tide me over til that October-November based trip...I idly read a recipe for apple butter. 
        • It described putting it in a pot and stirring for a day. 
        • This got me super excited, not because I can stand over a stove. 
          • My top time there is ten minutes, 
            • I then wander away and start dreaming of Star Wars themed outfits 
              • and consequently start a small house fire.
        • But anything that calls to be in a pot for hours might also be available for crock-pot cooking. 
          • Where you're supposed to go away, 
            • and google Rey and puzzle out a way to recreate her outfit.
              • Looks like grey sweatpants are involved...score!
        • And the only things put at risk are the things within melting distance of the crock-pot
          • And the internet gave a resounding yes. 
          • A lot of crock-pot apple butter recipes exist 
    • So, here is my experimental version of the classic apple butter.
    • I started with 12 apples
      • Wash them
      • Gaze at them 
      • Name them 
      • Then get ready to destroy them
    • First off coring and peeling the apple.
      • There is a lot of debate about whether this a good idea or not.
        • Some reference the cyanide in the apple seeds and say core it
        • Some say for texture better to do without
        • Others reference the pectin hidden in the core as necessary
      • I'm for smooth texture and cyanide free food (even if it's negligible amount), so I cored and peeled my apples.
    apple corer

        • It's a one stop shop of wonder.



    • So, turns out my apples were a little mushy for the machine, so I ended up doing it mostly with a knife and cutting board
    • Next the sliced apples went into the crock pot
    Vinegar and apples

    Apple slices in the crock-pot
    • Then add a half cup of vinegar to the crock-pot. 
    • Put the crock-pot on high and prepare the next bit

    • 4.5 cups of sugar
    • 1 TB of Vanilla
      • Because I add it to everything!
    • 1\2 TB of cinnamon
    • 1\2 TSP of Garam Masala (or you can use cloves instead if that's more your thing)
    • Note: Add spices at your own discretion, but  be aware that spices that are slowly cooked all day become stronger in flavor.
    • Stir together the spices, extract, and sugar

    • Note: The vanilla will leave lumps like in a sandbox: This is okay

    • Add in the sugar, stir and coat the apple slices well. 
    • Set a timer on your phone for an hour (or two if you want to speed up the process)
      • Google the fact that Barbie and Ken broke up in 2004.
      • Or use your time more wisely by figuring out the fabric on Ray's outfit
        • Cotton Scrim?
        • Photo above of cotton scrim. 
        • It looks close enough for me, and is cheaper than Viscose at least in my half hazard google search
    • It's been an hour? 
    • Move the the crock pot to low.
    • Give it a good stir
    • Go enjoy your life for the next 12 hours with occasional stirring.
      • Warning: if you stay at home the smell of the spices make might induce unusual hunger levels, 
        • and, if you're like me, you might inexplicably find yourself gnawing on a block of cheese
      • Remember to occasionally stir when you remember it exists
    • After 12 hours stir really well.
      • Remove from heat
      • Let cool
      • Blend in a blender
        • For maximum smoothness
    Left apple butter from crock-pot, Right after being blended

      • Reheat and bring to a boil one last time for ten minutes
        • Mine tasted a bit to bitter for me still, so I added a cup of sugar into the mix
        • Cool
      • Put into sterilized containers to freeze or to use within a couple weeks
    • Spread on toast and enjoy!
    apple butter on English Muffin
    Apple Butter on English Muffin

    RECIPE RECAP:
    • Start with:
      •  12 apples (peeled and cored)
      • 1\2 Vinegar
    • Put in crockpot.
    • Mix Together
      • 4.5 cups of sugar
      • 1 TB of Vanilla
        • Because I add it to everything!
      • 1\2 TB of cinnamon
      • 1\2 TSP of Garam Masala
    • Coat apples with the spice and sugar mixture
    • Put crockpot on high for an hour
      • Stir on occasion
    • Switch to low for 12 hours
      • Stir on occasion
    • Blend
    • Add another cup of sugar (if wanted)
    • Reheat for ten minutes
    • Freeze, or refrigerate in sterile containers
    • Enjoy
    Apple Butter on English Muffin


    Comments