A Summer German Chocolate Blueberry Vinegar Cake

A Disaster Turned Into a Delight

A Summer German Chocolate Blueberry Vinegar Jam Cake

  • A week ago I attempted to make a Cinderella themed drink, 
    • the drink was a complete and total disaster that was barely salvageable 
      • think Bridget Jone's blue soup terrible,
        • but good friends made the best of it with me. 
          • I appreciate their love. 
  • And in the end I was left with a huge packet of thawed blueberries and a container of Blue Dyed Heavy Whipping Crème. 
    • All of which had no purpose, and short expiration dates.
  • At the time, on an unrelated note; a good friend suggested I watch The Great British Baking Show. 
    • If you haven’t seen it, stop reading this and find an episode on Netflix or on  PBS' website straight away. 
      • It’s okay, really. 
        • This recipe will still be here. 
          • You will need to binge watch it so...
            •  I'll see you in a 2 days. 
    • Inspired by their constant use of homemade jams I read through some recipes and with a misguided sense of confidence thought: I can do that. 
      • The only problem? 
        • The recipe calls for lemon juice which I did not have. 
          • I have a lemon tree outside my door, but the lemons have imploded into soft brown versions of their former glory.
          • I also have grocery stores a couple of miles away, but it was late, and I'm lazy. 
          • So I read why lemon juice was so important
            • It’s about science and lowering the PH. 
            • And some vinegar has a similar PH.
              •   The percentage of acetic acid in vinegar is printed on the bottle
                • don’t use anything under 5%.
            • Done, I had found my solution. 
              • I enjoy drinking vinegar, and people believe it has health benefits so...win win? 
              • After googling to see if anyone else has done was I about to-do, the closest I could find was recipes that did vinegar and lemon juice both. 
              • Making this a potential recipe for another disaster.
                • But another search after the fact has brought up many more jam with vinegar recipes. 
                • None matching mine exactly but close. 
Vinegar Bottle

  • I made the jam
    • Puree a large bag of thawed blueberries (about 12 ounces)
    • Put in a pan on the stove. 
      • Add 3 cups of sugar
      • Add a 1\2 cup of White Distilled Vinegar
      • Bring to a boil
      • Stir 
  • Put in sterilized jars with lids
  • Boil the jar for 10 minutes
    • Refrigerate 
    • Should keep for at least a week if not two.
  • I made the jam. 
    • I ended up with three jars of the stuff, and after spreading it on toast…found it was best when drizzled over a layer of whipped cream. 

Blueberry Jam on Whipped Cream

  • Next came the desire for a base for those two to mix on
  • An upcoming casual get together with co-workers, kicked me into get it done mode.
    • My first thought was, I’m going to make one of those delicious sponges made on the show. 
    • The top bakers of Britian make them and I had watched them do it on TV. 
      • I was ready, right? 
        • But after googling actual recipes, possible pitfalls, and realizing I don’t stand on one foot and play a kazoo well, 
        • I decided the box of yellow cake mix on my shelf was a better option.
          • But it had expired, a year ago and so was tossed.
          • But I had another one.
            • But it was a German Chocolate cake mix
              • But it wasn't expired, so win?! 
  • Blueberry German Chocolate Vinegar Crème Cake was coming, 
    • A catchy concise title to be sure ;).
  • By now the get together with co-workers had morphed from a casual thing to a proper goodbye party for one of our esteemed colleagues, upping the need for a cake 
  • I made up the box mix almost like the recipe said, except I have trouble adding the oil
    • I once used a sunflower oil in a cake, and it ruined the flavor. 
      • Since then that step has made me wary.
      • Without it, it sets the cake up to be dryer, 
        • but I was planning to soak the thing in blueberry jam... 
    • So, I used half the oil and replaced the other half wanted with 1% milk. 
    • I also had a tablespoon of vanilla, because I love vanilla and I add it to everything. 
    • I then poured the batter into two glass pie tins. 
      • Because I have no cake pans. 
      • And baked them.
Glass Pie Tins

  • After which I whipped up the blue whipping crème. 
    • Adding a small bit of vanilla and sugar.  
Vanilla Extract and Sugar

    • Then when I had this with medium peaks, I set it in the fridge to keep cool. 

    • I don’t know if it was necessary, but in the show they are constantly running to the freezer and fridges, so this seemed like a reasonable next step.
  • Then the cakes were done, so I removed them from their glass prisons and set them to cool.

Glass Pie Pans

  • While they cooled I took a walk, talked to the lemon tree, and watched more of the British Baking Show. 
    • Anything to keep me from adding the rest of the ingredients too soon.
  • When the cakes seemed cool to the touch...I got ready to finish this thing


  • On the top of the bottom layer, I spread the blueberry jams into the cracked top till it was a thick pool steering clear of the sides. 
    • Yes, my cakes had dried out a little, 
      • but I hoped a good layer of jam would rejuvenate the cake without making it too soggy. 



    • I then added a good layer of the whipped cream. 




    • After which, I stacked the next layer on and did the same thing. 




    • Then I spread whipped cream around the sides.


      • I did not have enough heavy whipping cream. 
        • So my cake looks sadly sparse. 
      • A can of whipped cream and some fresh blueberries decorated the top
      • A Summer Chocolate Blueberry Vinegar Jam Cake
        • Careful whipped cream from a can slides off of cakes after about five minutes of being exposed to room temperature, 
          • so wait til the last minute.
        • Better to use the whipped heavy cream if you have extra 
          • It pipes well, if you keep it cold.
          • Like on this one, on my second try 
          • (note your piping will probably be better. It's not something I have mastered for proof see Cupcake Class On A Cruise)

        •  Put it in a piping bag with a star tip


        •  There was my half hazard attempt at the push and pull back method


        •  Then because I could I added blue berry jam to the top 


        •  And blended it in



        •  Some angles it looks heart shaped, other it doesn't, lol


      • And do you see that bowl? 
      • With the second cake I left over whipping cream...like I did before starting this project the first time
      • And because so many experimental elements went into the first cake I had to try it before I subjected my co-workers to it the next day. 
        • So in the picture there is a piece missing.
        • Plus there is a serious lack of photos of the origional, because I was sure it would fail.
    Chocolate blueberry vinegar jam cake
    • But surprises never cease, this accidental ride, turned into a moist, fluffy cake that melted in our mouths, 
      • and the kick of vinegar brought an unexpected flavor twist that came through nicely. 
    • And then a co-worker asked for the recipe...
      • how do you write something down that went like this?
        • how do you recreate photos that you never took?
          • staging and truth
    • So after a massive failure, tv binge watching, and serious lack of needed ingredients...
      • a happy surprise came through at the end. 
    • But I still have too many jars of the blueberry vinegar jam. 
      • Anyone want one?

blueberry vinegar jam

Comments